When Love Lost

Andy Stanley

This is Part 3 of our Brand New series. We all know that religion is a powerful thing and, because of this, it can be dangerous. Generally it can end up in the hands of a few people, driven by superstition and religion is also anchored in our conscience.

As we said last week, our consciences determine religious realities whether they reflect reality or not. All of us have experienced this. There are things you used to feel guilty about and don’t any more. Our country has seen extraordinary changes in our national consciences over the years. Our consciences have been shaped by a version or type of Christianity that is a blend between Jesus actually taught and what the temple model has taught as well. Our consciences determine the way we feel about God, sin and one another. Whoever controls your conscience controls your behavior.

How to Know Your Standing with God

Andy Stanley

This is Part 2 of our series “Brand New.” If you weren’t here last week, you can catch up (for free) right here.

Here’s what we said last week: The arrival of Jesus signaled something absolutely brand new. When Jesus showed up on the scene he initiated something brand new.

The Temple Model, a reference to the Jewish temple, was done. Jesus had a new model.

The Temple Model is about:

  • Sacred places
  • Sacred texts
  • Sacred men
  • Sincere followers

Jesus initiated something brand new:

One Thing That Has the Power to Undermine Your Potential

Andy Stanley

This is a series about killing that thing in each of us that has the potential to kill everything good in and around us: Pride.

Not the pride that you have about your kids or the pride you have when you “over-coach” your kids, or the healthy pride in your work. We’re talking about the pride that likes to see others fail. The kind of pride that makes you feel better about yourself. The bad pride that keeps you from apologizing or initiating a conversation.

Pride: It shuts you in while shutting God and others out.
When you’re filled with pride, there’s no room for anyone else in the room, including God.

The Difference Between Stewardship and Ownership

Andy Stanley

If you weren’t here last week go back and watch it. If you don’t need it, I promise you your boss does.

This is a series that is about killing that thing in us that has the potential to kill us and everything around us: our pride. Not the good pride that inspires people to greatness, we’re talking about the pride that is a prison that shuts you in and God and others out. The kind of pride that’s so big it makes you the only person in the room and there’s no room for anybody else. It’s the pride that keeps you from admitting what you ned to admit, initiate what you need to initiate and listen to what needs to be heard.

This series is about calling out pride before it shuts God and others out. Name it, recognize it and don’t let it hold the remote control of your life.

Today we are going to address a very specific group: The 3P People. What makes someone a 3P Person?

The Thing That Keeps You from Being Honest with Yourself

Andy Stanley

This is the start of a brand new series called Killin’ It.
This is a series about that one thing inside of you and me that “Keeps you from…” and “Causes you to…”

To get started, here are some clues about what it is:
1. This is the one thing that keeps you from celebrating other people’s success.
2. It’s the one thing that keeps you from initiating an apology when you know you are wrong.
3. It keeps you from initiating an apology when you are only 5% wrong and the other person was 95% wrong.
4. It keeps you arguing the point after the fact that you’ve realized you don’t have a really good point.
5. Keeps you from admitting loss.
6. Keeps you from admitting weakness.
7. Keeps you from admitting you need help.
8. Keeps you from being honest with yourself.
9. Keeps you from being honest with others.
10. Keeps you from learning new things because you want others to think you know everything.
11. It’s what causes you to feel good when others fail.
12. It’s what causes you to power up when you should be opening up.
13. It’s what causes you to cheat instead of lose.
14. It’s what causes you to lie about your past.
15. It causes you to need the final word.
16. It causes you to buy things to impress people who aren’t even paying any attention to you.

Any guesses what this is?